INSTALLATION ON OUTDOOR FACADES
In partnership with MAPEI (adhesives and sealants), TUSCAN Levelling System (installation systems) and Profilitec (profiles).
As with the installation of standard thickness tiles in clinker and porcelain stoneware, the installation of LINEA slim thickness porcelain stoneware slabs on outdoor facades requires precise planning before proceeding with installation.
CHECK OF CONDITIONS AND TYPE OF SUPPORT
There are different types of supports and substrates on which LINEA slim thickness slabs can be applied, therefore Atlas Concorde recommends carrying out a preliminary check on the support materials.
Reinforced mass concrete
In general, this substrate is not stable enough to foresee the direct installation of ceramic coverings on it, therefore Atlas Concorde recommends to check and, if necessary, to create a layer of plaster on the support before installing LINEA slabs and to check that the concrete is:
- suitably seasoned (seasoning time required may vary from three to six months depending on the kind of concrete, on its thickness, on weather conditions, etc..);
- mechanically resistant;
- free from shrinkage or cracking problems;
- clean not to compromise the adhesion of LINEA slabs. A thorough cleaning of the surface made by hydraulic means or sand blasting is necessary to remove all dust residues.
Cement-based plaster is the mural covering that is mostly used in external facades. Prior to proceeding with the installation of ceramic tiles, Atlas Concorde recommends checking cement-based plaster on the basis of the following parameters:
- suitably seasoned (7-10 days per cm of thickness);
- Mechanically resistant;
- free from shrinkage and cracking problems and free from friable parts;
- clean not to compromise the adhesion of LINEA slabs.
In order to meet the above mentioned parameters, Atlas Concorde recommends to complete plastering using cement-based mortar with a high adhesion power and a bending and/or compression resistance, and we also recommend to armour the plaster with a galvanised metallic mesh in correspondence of the string courses and between plaster and masonry infill walls.
Irrespective of concrete or plaster substrates and before proceeding with the installation of LINEA slim thickness slabs, it is of primary importance to check the planarity of the surface in order to avoid the formation of gaps under the slabs that could cause the weakness of the ceramic cladding. It is necessary to correct any imperfections of the substrate using specialised levelling products.
Chart. Recommended levelling products
|External cement-based plasters to be covered with ceramic materials||MAPEI – PLANICRETE||Synthetic rubber-based latex to be added with water and to be mixed with the cement mortar||Mortar added with this product must reach a thickness of at least 10mm|
|Levelling of substrate of external facades||MAPEI – PLANITOP FAST 300||Cement levelling product|
|Levelling of substrate of external facades||MAPEI – NIVOPLAN||Cement levelling product||To be mixed with water and synthetic rubber-based latex of the kind MAPEI – PLANICRETE|
Prior to proceeding with the installation of LINEA slim thickness slabs on external facades, it is necessary to choose the suitable adhesives depending on weather conditions. Once the correct adhesive has been chosen, it will be possible to start installation.
- Clean LINEA tiles with water only if necessary (presence of dust).
- Apply the adhesive using a round-teeth trowel (teeth 5x7mm at 60°). In order to obtain perfect adhesion, spread a thin layer of adhesive on the wall using the smooth side of the trowel first, and then apply the other layer of adhesive using the toothed part of the trowel.
- Apply the adhesive onto the back of LINEA slabs thus avoiding the formation of gaps between the wall and the ceramic covering that can then cause cracking or detachment of tiles
Double spreading is necessary in order to distribute, in a uniform way, the tensions that will create due to the differential adjustments between the ceramic covering and the support caused by temperature changes.
Apply the slim thickness slab to the wall in order to have a perfect adhesion and levelling. Atlas Concorde recommends using a rubber trowel (or two suction cups for large size tiles) and then proceed with an homogeneous tapping of the surface avoiding the use of rubber hammering tools.
Depending on sizes used different grout-lines should be allowed.
- Grout lines not lower than 5mm for 30×60 cm and 60×60 cm tiles;
- Grout lines not lower than 8 mm per for 30×120 cm and 60×120 cm tiles;
- In the case of straightforward installation patterns, the slabs must be staggered of maximum 1/3 of the length of the long side. (20 cm for 30×60 cm; 40 cm for 60×120 and 30×120 cm).
For the installation of LINEA slabs onto external walls, Atlas Concorde recommends the use of TUSCAN LEVELLING SYSTEM that allows for:
- Eliminate uneven levels between adjacent slabs;
- Keep the slab in the desired position;
- Reduce installation times.
Chart. Recommended products for tile installation
|Summer period. Hot weather and/or adverse weather conditions.||MAPEI – KERABOND + ISOLASTIC||High-performing cement-based adhesives, highly deformable||C2E S2 – EN 12004|
|Winter period. Cold and wet weather. Sizes: 30×60, 60×60, 30×120 cm;||MAPEI – ELASTORAPID||High-performing quick-setting cement-based adhesives, highly deformable||C2FTE S2 – EN 12004|
|Winter period. Cold and wet weather. Sizes: 60×120 cm;||MAPEI – KERAQUICK + LATEX PLUS||High-performing quick-setting cement-based adhesives, highly deformable||C2FT S2 – EN 12004|
Atlas Concorde recommends to grout joints using cement-based mortar and to carry out this operation 2-3 hours after installation only when using quick-setting adhesives, while it is necessary to wait for 7-8 hours for standard adhesives.
Chart. Recommended products for grouting
|Grouting of external facades||MAPEI – ULTRACOLOR PLUS||Grout for open joints||CG2 – EN 13888|
JOINTS AND SEALING
For the installation of LINEA slim thickness slabs on external facades, apart from the structural joints of the building, it is necessary to respect the position and size of the splitting joints in correspondence of string courses, any uneven level (angles and edges) and in general the entire surface must be divided into backgrounds no greater than 9-12m2.
Splitting joints must be at least 1cm in width and dimensioned depending on the sealant used, therefore Atlas Concorde recommends the use of neutral mono-component silicone sealants able to avoid the formation of stains and rims.
Chart. Recommended products for sealing of joints
|Sealing of splitting joints||MAPEI – MAPESIL LM||Neutral mono-component silicone sealant||Maximum stretching equal to 25% of the joint width|
Mapetherm and Linea
Linea slim thickness slabs can be installed as a covering for the exterior walls of buildings as part of the Mapetherm insulation system by Mapei, creating an innovative coating system for buildings.
This system, originally created for use on residential buildings (no higher than 7 floors) where exterior insulating finishing systems are not commonly used, leads to the creation of an insulating layer on the external facade of the building that is covered with Linea slim thickness porcelain stoneware slabs.
The system is optimised when using the Linea series in bright colours, or, simply with a reflectance index >20%.